Re: HV accident (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:44:18 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HV accident (fwd)

In a message dated 8/6/07 8:48:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Is there really any truly "safe" way of doing what we do? I mean  come

>on,every aspect of the hobby has a hazard of some sort and I think  that

>The List does a pretty good job of pushing those issues (sometimes to  the

>level of sheer paranoia-see archives for Thoriated tungsten  for

>example).Perhaps it's time to review some basic safety and maybe we  should

>all be looking for alternative methods for discharging capacitors  that

>don't use the trusty screwdriver!

    Terry Fritz already posted a link to the "official"  way to deal with HV
capacitors, and relatively recently:

_http://www-training.llnl.gov/training/hc/HVResearch/Grounding.html_
(http://www-training.llnl.gov/training/hc/HVResearch/Grounding.html)

    And see Dave Sharpe's post, where he mentions the  NEC requirement for
bleeder resistors:

_http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2001/March/msg00432.html_
(http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2001/March/msg00432.html)

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities