Re: New VTTC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 16:12:17 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New VTTC (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
    Designing a Class C amplifier to drive a resonant load like a TC
would be a straight forward procedure using conventional design
techniques which can be found in text and hand books.  The designer
would have to guess at the load impedance somehow or other; of the load
were resistive the job is simple and should work as predicted on the
first try .  On the other hand, designing an oscillator to drive a
resonant load which changes tuning and impedance with streamer formation
is pretty near impossible.  People have encountered the same problem
trying to design oscillators to drive cyclotrons.  Somewhere or other I
have a paper written by a guy at UCLA which analyzes the problem.
Haven't looked at it for years but was kind of discouraged at what I
read.  The probability of the oscillator switching from one mode to
another [one of which would "work" and the other might cause excessive
plate dissipation] is high and hard to control.

    My last VTTC was built in High School over 60 years ago.  It worked
- sort of.  Low power, about 50 watts, and god knows what the frequency
might have been.  Were I to start over I'd seriously consider using the
power amplifier approach with a separate oscillator to drive the "final
amplifier".  Even this would require some cut and try to get the tuning
and coupling to the coil set right but having a stable drive level and
frequency for the amplifier would make things a lot easier.  I think
about this once in a while because I have suitable tubes and HV power
transformers but can never work up the ambition.

Ed

Ed