From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:50 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tube Question - Tube Database

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Adam and all Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil enthusiasts.

The best on line database I've found for virtually
every tube manufactured is:

http://datasheets.electron-tube.net/index.html

 >From this database, below is pdf file for a Machlett
Laboratories ML-6420.

http://datasheets.electron-tube.net/sheets/026/6/6420.pdf

It is a very high power industrial triode, designed for
Induction Heating and MF broadcast applications (30Mhz).
Water cooled variant can handle up to 20kW input.
This would make an awesome VTTC with the following
caveats...

1.  Is the tube a good tube (obviously)?
2.  What kind of service life has it been subjected?
3.  Does it show evidence of abuse (overheating,
      external arcing)?
4.  Do you have access to a spare?

       Building a really  large VTTC without  a spare
       tube is like building a high performance drag
       racer or hot rod without  a spare engine
       (i.e. pointless).  Infrastructure costs will be
       LARGE.
5.  Do you have access to filament transformer
     (7.0V, 85A), and HVPS up to 10kV@2-5A?
5.  Do you have HV tank capacitor rated at 25kV
       to 50A rms CW) and power resistors (50 ohm,
       1, 2kohm  @ 1kW)?
7.  Do you have experience (personally!) working on
       Industrial HV  high power equipment (lasers,
      bradcast transmitters, medium voltage
      switchgear,  etc.)?

       A machine of this magnitude is very dangerous,
      even for qualified technical personnel.
8.  Do you have the appropriate liquid cooling hardware
      (heat exchanger/fans, ground current leak detectors,
      pumps w/ hardware, etc.)?

Not trying to discourage your attempts, but making
you aware of challenges, and hazards that which
you will contending.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA