Re: Equi-drive vs. standard drive, was SGTC

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 4/30/07 1:12:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I imagine it was something like the schematic  below.

Thank you for taking the time to draw a  schematic, a picture is worth a
thousand words!
    From what I can tell, your schematic shows an NST,  with a center-tap to
"gnd". For some reason, the main spark gap is shown with a  center electrode
to "gnd"? And yet the bottom leg of the transformer is *also*  tied to "gnd"???

> I now see the charge left on the caps. With the  coil switch off after a
run, one of
>the caps will have a DC charge  across it, blocked by the opposing cap.

    Why would it be blocked by the other cap?
    If you think about it, almost every cap we use for  TC use is some sort
of multiple-series arrangement, either internally through  many plates, or by
MMC-type setups. Why don't those caps block each other from  discharging?

> The charge left on one of the caps should then charge the
>opposing cap, so they should both end up with a charge across them
>(eventually).

    But then they are both tied together by the  primary, and then across the
NST secondary. This should provide a closed loop to  allow the charge to
bleed down.

>Makes good sense to use bleeders across each cap (about
>5 Meg  and capable of the voltage). Depending on the situation, the
>charge  could be large or small.

Agreed! I'm surprised Hull didn't stress bleeders  as mandatory. He still has
a nice collection of very serious high voltage caps,  and he's no novice!

Bart's ASCII text schematic:

EQUIDRIVE  CIRCUIT  SCHEMATIC                  O--T--O
c1             (
(-------------|-------||------|       (
nst(              |                |       (
ac       )||(--gnd     sg  o--gnd           |      (  ls
gnd------|  (              |     c2      lp )   (

-Phil LaBudde