Re: high potential energy discharge pulse duty capacitors

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, your are correct. Most corporations do not allow their design engineers to release data on the design parameters.

At our annual Teslathon, Beau Meskin, Pres. and chief design at PCI, usually drops by for a few hours. It's always interesting to pick his brain as they make very high quality pulse caps.

Next TeslaFest is scheduled for Sept. 8, 2007, at Wis. Dells, WI.

I have toured CSI, PCI, and Maxwell's cap mfg areas. They use clean rooms, clean suits, and wind with a 0.5 to 1 mil dielectric and foil thickness --- much too small to be handled by human hands. They also use special anti-static techniques to keep the rolling dielectrics and foils at ground potential so no pesty HV electrostatic charges to attract any dust. These conditions would be nearly impossible to duplicate in the average shop. The trade off will be some particles on the dielectric and/or foil which will eventually cause failures --- however, it may be years before it happens or could happen in less than 10 hrs --- depends on the impurities and their size.

Dr. Resonance

I find this subject fascinating in its own right.  Can
anyone provide a link or other resource where I can
learn more about large, HV pulse cap design &
fabrication?  How do Maxwell Labs, and Plastic
Capacitors Inc. do it?  Are these tightly guarded
trade secrets?  I know this sort of thing is out of my
league, but that will not lessen my enjoyment of
studying it.

Cheers,

Greg