Re: Capacitor dielectric voltage rating

PE can rate from 450V/mil to 1200V/mil. How pure (absence of contaminants) PE is will determine it's puncture voltage. It's hard to know just buying PE roll stock. It's best to test it. If you have a means of varying the voltage on a hv supply (such as a variac), you can then do the test yourself. Take several samples along the roll and get a decent average of "that rolls" puncture voltage. Also, the dielectric constant of PE is 2.2 to 2.3.

This is really the only way to be sure. Anything else is a guess and may not apply to the PE you purchase.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys how many volts can 4 mil of polyethylene withstand. I am making a cap and am trying to figure out how thick I need the dielectric to be. I have 4 mil sheets.

Many Thanks