Re: Big x-ray transformers and Jacobs Ladders.

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/23/07 3:57:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>First a word on my ballast: I made a core out of pieces I
>cut out of an old 25kVA SCR Drive Isolation Transformer. Much cutting
>and cursing later, I had an open "E" core with a pretty big area (I
>can measure if you really care).

Well, I went and measured, and the center leg of my homemade ballast's "E" core is 3-1/2" by 2-7/8". Outside legs are each 1/2 that area, of course...

>The solution to that was to
>almost "bridge" the electrodes about halfway up with extra "starter"
>points - two 10" pieces of copper tubing hose, one clamped to each
>electrode.

Should read: " - two 10" pieces of copper tubing, one hose clamped to each electrode".

-Phil LaBudde

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.