Re: Big x-ray transformers and Jacobs Ladders.

Jim, David,

I agree with David to a point. Yes, current is more of what de-
termines the maximum arc length attainable in a Jacob's ladder than
voltage, but I've gotten very good results from an x-ray transfromer
driving a Jacob's ladder. I power my "ladder" with a 150 kV,
600 mA rated x-ray tranny and get self starting arcs with about
a 5" spacing at the "start". The rails spread to about 18" or so
at the top. The transformer stands about 3 ft high and the pole pig
bushings adds about another 10" and I only have 8 ft high ceilings in
my garage, and I don't want the arc hitting the ceiling at the end of its
travel. All of these factors pretty well limit my arc travel distance
but I can still feed the transformer with over 100 amps from my
huge custom control panel that also feeds my Green Monster
coil, and I get some very impressive and wicked looking arcs ;^)
BTW, I've never been able to get the x-ray transformer's outer
tank case to reach any perceivable warmth above ambient tempe-
rature, even after several minute non-stop runs of 120+ amps!
X-ray transformers are truly beasts! Also, like I said above, you
will have NO problem getting the arc to start with the 100 kV+
voltages available to start the arc. With only 10 to 15 kV, it seems
like the rails almost have to "touch" to start the arc, especailly if the
rails are rather large in diamater, which increases the radius of
curvature and consequently, the breakdown voltage!

David