To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:57 PM
Subject: streamer output - toroids vs. spheres

Original poster: mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx

It seems that everyone is using toroids as toploads these days. I admit
tuning a coil with a toroid is much easier than tuning a coil with a
sphere; however, there is one remarcable difference in streamer output
that I have noticed. This type of streamer output is so *AMAZING* that I
don't like toroids, and prefer spheres.

What I see happen with a tuned in sphere, with careful and painful
adjustments, is that I can get exactly 1 streamer rolling around the top
of the ball. The streamer will eventually settle itself down on the top of
the ball and start "reaching" upwards. The end of the streamer licks and
curls around in a shape that I cannot describe, going inside itself in
fractal looking loops. It will stand there doing this for quite some time.
It is a beautiful site to see. My 3" diameter coil can project a 42"
streamer upwards using a single 12-60 NST.

This is a simple observation about topload shape that I hope will foster
some interesting commentary.

Miles