RE: Got my 6-incher going!

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Ben:

That's a nice, neat coil layout your have - I tip my top-load to you ;-)

My comments and suggestions are:

1) On the NST protection circuit, replace the RF chokes with large,
ceramic-cased wire-wound resistors, 500-2000 Ohms, 50+ Watts.  It has
been shown that L-C filters as you have actually make matters worse,
creating their own resonances.  I suspect that's why you saw the
flashovers on the caps.  I know - they won't fit into the footprint of
your chokes :-(

2) Your doorknob tank capacitor uF value sounds good, but as you said,
their 20kV rating sounds too low to be safely used with a 15kV NST.  I
see that you found them to get warm after use.  Do you have a
capacitance meter to see if their value drifts when warm?

3) If you're using a 15/60 or 15/90 NST, you should be able to use a
much larger top load than a mixing bowl.  Could it be that you just
didn't have enough primary turns to tune a larger top load?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA