Re: Magnets

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I made a coil form with a piece of 1" PVC pipe 1" long with piece of plexaglass on each end. The plexaglass is just to hold the wire in place until the polyurethane varnish dries. I wound #24 enamel coated copper wire onto the coil form and coated it with urethan as I went. I wound it until the coil was about 2 1/4" diameter. Not sure how many turns are on the coil. In a few days the urethane was dry and I removed the coil form. The finished coil is 1.25" ID by 2.25" OD by 1" long. I have 2 capacitors in parallel 7400 MFD 200 VDC each. I have a bridge rectifier to charge the capacitor with a serge current limiting resistor. I plug it into the wall outlet 120 volts AC it charges the caps to about 170 volts throught the serge resistor. I have a push button switch between the capacitors and the coil. The switch needs to be able to handle the discharge current from the 2 caps. I built a homemade switch sorta like a morse code key. I charge the caps then discharge them into the coil. A magnet will soak up the magnet field for only a few seconds and it has a half life of about 2 seconds. There is a limit to how much magnet field a magnet will take. I have no way to measure the exact magnet field or strength of a magnet all I can say is how much weight a magnet will actually pick up and about how long the magnet will hold the magnet charge. I would assume different magnet materials will that a differet charge.

Be sure to place the magnet in the coil correctly. This device will also reverse the magnet field of a magnet. If the magnet is setting in the coil at a 45 deg angle the magnet field ends up being at 45 deg angle in the magnet. This is how the manufactures that make magnets charge a magnet. When the metal is formed into a magnet shape it has not magnet field until it is charged.

I have been trying to think up some experements to do with a Tesla Coil using magnets. About all I can do is experement and see what happens.