RE: this could be interesting

Original poster: <sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>     Interesting.  Do you suppose sectors formed by spraying AquaDag
> through a mask would work?  Probably they would wear pretty fast but
> might be an interesting and easy experiment.

Oh yes!  That works very well.  I did that long ago when I was in grade
school.

My dad was an MD, and he used to get me all sorts of interesting stuff
from the hospital where he worked.  One of the more interesting items
was a broken Wimshurst machine with damaged plates.  I had a local glass
company make me some replacements and decided to try AquaDag for the
sectors, and it worked just fine, but the stuff tended to wear rather
quickly and tracks soon formed that resulted in multiple
around-the-sectors arcing.  I soon replaced the AquaDag with copper
foil, and the machine worked with no more problems - except for the fact
that the New Orleans humidity rendered the machine pretty well useless
except for a few weeks each year during the winter.  We had no air
conditioning back then.  When I enlisted in the USAF, I gave the machine
to a friend of mine (now deceased) who displayed it in his living room
for years.

73,

Ralph   W5JGV - WC2XSR/13 - WD2XSH/7

http://w5jgv.com