Re: A real 1/4 wave TC

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I got to see the coil "Big Bertha" at the Tesla museum in Colorado Springs back when it was still open...Actually that was what inspired me to start coiling...but I digress. That coil was probably in the neighborhood of a 2:1 aspect ratio(I think Bill Wysock might have it and could say for sure) and it had a small sphere(approximately five inch diameter) with two sharpened rods sticking horizontally from opposite sides of it. Maybe something like that would work well for Skip's coil.
Mike

Cool Skip!

I figured you were up to something (different). Thanks for sharing
the gap info. That certainly helps evaluation (which we all have a
tendency to do). The 1:1 h/d should give a very linear voltage
profile along the coil. Might be interesting to use FANTC to look at
the voltage profile. I actually use take the V/I profile data into
Excel and scale the voltage accordingly. That is what the VI output
is really for. Someday, I'll port the VI graph to JAVATC and will
then allow the transformer data to populate the scale accordingly.

I agree that a topload is not necessary for resonance, but it is a
mechanical necessity (not a resonance necessity). If your terminal is
a small sphere, then there would be negligible topload capacitance.
Corona inception is at about 26kV in my neck of the woods, and the
coil will absolutely be far above that, and it will then try to
breakout of the top secondary. The problem you face with the top end
of the secondary is no different than using a sphere topload which is
terrible at secondary breakout prevention unless it is low enough and
large enough (how low depends on how large and of course the coil).
But hey, ignore me and keep experimenting. I'm simply looking at it
from an armchair cowboys point of view. I've never tried such a short
h/d as a 2LC setup and no topload. Very cool experiment!

Take care,
Bart

Check out <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->new cars at Yahoo! Autos.