RE: Re: Oil Dielectric Properties

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used 1/8 inch spacing between the plates.

I first tried this with glass between the metal plates loses were very high probably 75%. My glass plates were 8" wider than the metal plates that gave me 4" of glass hanging over the edge of each metal plate and sparks would sometimes jump round the edge of the glass. In the dark I could see the glass would glow BLUE and after about 3 minutes of running the TC the glass would over heat and break. I soon learned I could not run the TC more than about 90 seconds then give it about 2 hours to cool then I could run it another 90 seconds. Glass is not good.