Re: contact spark gap

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/14/07 1:49:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

As the disk turns it will make contact with the
bushings and complete the tank circuit, dumping loads of power into
the primary.  The obvious problem with this is it will arc before it
rolls over the contact defeating the whole purpose, but my thinking
is you could use a smaller rod to increase "quenching" and submerge
the whole thing in mineral oil to keep stuff cool and cut down on
spark, but you will need a really tough motor.  Has anybody out there
tried this already?  would there be any benefit?

Scott,

Similar ideas have been suggested in the past, and some
work has been done with sparks running in oil.  Results
were very poor.  The oil bubbled and arced and created
air pockets of many bubbles, etc.  I'm not optimistic about the idea.

In general, quenching is not a problem with a well-designed
Tesla coil anyway.

John

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.