Re: Alternate/Unusual Primary Configurations

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am quite happy to accept that the "simulation" for measuring pi can be accurate to 1 million digits without expecting experimental confirmation. In the example of other real world simulations like coupling then I agree that increasing measured accuracy introduces other factors to differ from pure mathematical accuracy. This might be things like inhomogeneities in the copper width, placement, purity or interaction with lead in wires to the coil or other equipment in the room or local universe and eventually down to quantum effects. In some respects, reality can never be right.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/

Hi Bart,
It seems to me that if the simulation is more accurate than measurement, then that accuracy cannot be verified. If accuracy (of a model) is defined in terms of how well it matches reality, and experiment is the final arbiter of reality, and the model is superior to experimental measurement, then we have ourselves an epistemological conundrum. It may, in fact, be more accurate, but we can never know that, except by "faith". Perhaps "accurate to the limits of measurement" would be a better way to put it.

Matt D.