RSG spacing.

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings everybody.
Ok, I just finished a Synchronous rotary spark gap, and I am having some difficulties getting it in phase (the motor is a modified induction type, and it is salient pole, and plenty powerful). I adjust the phase by rotating the motor in it's mount, I got it "dead on" in my test rig with an OBIT and a salt water cap, but using my MOT array, it seems to usually be slightly out of phase, giving a periodic surging, about every 3 seconds or so which I can make much better by adjusting the phase, but rarely get perfect. The surging went away for a while, I believe because the fast start slid it slightly in its mount, and it was good for several runs, giving really good arcs. Any tips for fine adjustment would be appreciated, but that is not actually why I am writing (and no, I do not really have time or money to build an electronic phase adjuster right now, but if you have plans for one that can handle a .5 HP 1800 RPM motor, I'll gladly tuck it away for later!). My question, primarily, is why does the rotary gap spacing have to be so close, as is suggested on many websites. I can understand this with an asynchronous, as the firings are all at different potentials so it would need to be tight for the lower potential firings, but with an SRSG, I would imagine for best quenching it would be smart to leave the spacing wider (although this makes phasing more difficult). Some people put a static gap in series, or have the electricity pass through 4 gaps on one disk, but it would make sense to me (I am not an electrical engineer however, just an MET in training) that since your "Q" goes down slightly with every gap, that you would want as few as possible, meaning 2 gaps (in series, as many as you like in parallel) would be best. I have run my gap, on 4 MOTS (I keep burning out the flanks, so I cut back for now from 6 to 4) very wide, about .3 cm on both sides, and closing the gap distance seemed to make phasing easier, but did not help arc length any. Anybody care to shed some light on this? Thanks.
Sincerely,
Scott Bogard.
P.S. Am I correct in my assumption, that what the "Q" actually is, is the height of the resonant voltage rise (the huge spike on a voltage over frequency graph). People throw around that little letter a lot, and it is hard to find a concrete definition, they are always either too complicated to understand for somebody with my background, or too simple to help me understand what it technically is, so that is my best guess (derived from both the complex and basic definitions). Thanks a bunch.

Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix rate. Check savings https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117