Re: 942c20p1 caps

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
    I've been doing a lil research on polypropylene caps recently

If you properly derate them they should last longer and not fail over time. I see that the WIMA brand has datasheets showing that the derating needs to be more that youd' think at RF frequencies. The WIMA (which I would assume is very similar to CDE caps) derate all their caps above 1600V down to 700VAC at 1000Hz and about half that at typical TC frequencies. I would think if one does not properly derate them the end up looking like swiss chees and will likely begin to change capacitane over time...before they fail. So in my book, one should derate them to about 40% of the DC working voltage and account for the peak voltage of one's transformer. This might be more expensive to do, but perhaps in the long run, it'll be cheaper.
Mike

With a 12/60 I always use 2 parallel strings with 16 caps in each
string ---
.018 uF, 32 kV pulse rating.  Less stress on the caps --- will last
for many years under normal use.

11 will fail after some time has elapsed.

Dr. Resonance

Now that's room service! <http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw-->Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit.