Re: Quick questions about PFC calculations

Hi Mike,

PFC equations are ballpark values. Once you ballpark a PFC value, then test around that range to find the least current draw. You worked out the value just fine. And yes, connect the PFC directly across the LV input terminals.

There are more direct routes to get to the value. For reference, here is one:

PFC(uF) = (VA*10^6)/(2*pi*F*Vin^2) = (9000*.03*10^6)/(6.28*60*120*120) = 49.74uF

A resistive load is likely referred to for helping with inductive inrush currents or other inductive changes in current. The PFC won't help with that. You may need a ramp up or some type of soft start scheme to make the inverter happy.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I've never worried about power factor correction in a NST powered coil, but I got this great lil 9/30 (Thanks again Hal) and thought it might be cool to run it from my car via a 400W inverter that I have. I know the inverter would not like an inductive load. The instruction said I should probably run a resistive load at the same time if it acted up, but I would think power factor correction would be the way to go. My question is: Did I calculate this cap correctly? First I get 270VA/120V = 2.25 A, then dividing 120 by 2.25 and get 53.333 ohms. Now measure the resistance across the primary I got 2.2 ohm so I assumed the impedance due to the inductance is 51.1 ohm...the difference between the calculated and measured. Then using XL - Xc = 1/(2*pi*60*51.1) I got 49.7 uF. Am I on track here? I am assuming the cap would go parallel to the input, but please correct me if I am mistaken here(thinking anti rsonant LC circuit).
Thanks,
Mike

It's here! Your new message!
Get <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>new email alerts with the free <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>Yahoo! Toolbar.