Re: Homemade Caps are a Health Risk?

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think the larger issue here is the confinement factor. If one has the coil in a garage and can open a large door in the evening, it should not present a problem. In a confined basement, such as I was involved in during my younger days, I limited my run times to 30 sec or less and opened windows, used fans, etc. I would use great caution in a closed apartment, room, or basement. I recall it sometimes made so physically sick with nausea in my basement.

If a respiratory problem does ensue, and becomes permanent, then you basically become the human guinea pig. Not a good idea. The cheap price of a glass jar cap is a terrible risk as compared to a standard MMC cap which is not really all that expensive. I compare taking this risk akin to driving without a seatbelt. You may get away with it for a long time, and then, bang!

One could do a scientific study with placebos, etc. but the people affected in a negative way may have future problems. There is really no may to "guesstimate" the potential of the problem but my point is, why even take the risk to begin with? I remember it made my physically sick so my warning was to new coilers in an attempt to make them aware of potential problems. One should not have to experience a problem --- using the noodle to prevent any such issue is the central point of my original post.

Yes, I think alum. foil home-made caps could present a future health risk. Proceed at your own risk!

Dr. Resonance

We never truly answered the question that was going around for a while 2 weeks ago or so. Do home made caps represent a health risk? What ARE the risks involved with O3 (ozone)? And, how great are they in affecting someone? Because, some people are not able to spend upwards of usually $100 for a good MMC bank, the bottle caps or whatever seem to be the best option for many economically.

Quote:
"The ozone production of this type of capacitor is terrible and could present a serious health hazard."

-Dr. Resonance

I mean, how terrible is this health risk and what is the large health hazard? I mean, ozone is no different than living in a place such as Mexico City or Los Angeles where the smog gets so bad that people have to go to the hospital because of respritory issues caused by the environment.

-Shelton

Now that's room service! <http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw-->Choose from over 150,000 hotels