Re: Tesla's large pancake coil

Hi Bill,

I've always wondered about that coil. The large pancake coil is on the cover of a Tesla book or two and in other photos in books. This is the first time I've seen a discharge terminal. The artist (last graphic link you showed) appears to show a dark flat coil behind the front pancake coil. Although the artist drawing is simply a drawing, it's interesting the image shows two pancake coils (Ls, Lp I presume). Seems in other photos, there's a cylindrical driver. I'm not sure that the arcs shown would actually strike outward as shown, but it is interesting.

Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

I stumbled across this newspaper illustration on Tesla Mem. Society site:

  A Demonstration Made at Tesla's Laboratory Yesterday
  http://www.teslasociety.com/pictures/teslaarticle2.jpg

Odd that the discharge goes *away* from the coil.   The coil's EM field
must sculpt the discharge path, no?

This appears to be the same device which hung in Wardencliffe:

  Wardenclyffe: exhibition of various inventions
  http://www.teslasociety.com/pictures/labpic.jpg

In these other famous photos, the sphere-electrode is not installed:

  http://www.teslasociety.com/posters/teslalab.jpg

  http://www.teslasociety.com/pictures/teslapic.jpg

Here's another artist's conception, again showing the discharge going away
from the coil.   I wonder if the discharge path was so reliable that Tesla
could actually sit as shown below?  Or is it just an "artist's
conception?"

  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/forgottenfutures/tesla/tesla_4.gif

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci