Re: First light with 833 tube coil, then silence

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 9/24/06 10:38:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Gerry,

Yes, actually that was a simplified diagram. I do indeed
rectify and filter the output of my 2 "piggybacked" MOTs
for about 4000 VAC through 5 paralleled  2200 VAC, .9 uFD
MOT caps and a large HV "hockey puck" style diode from
a large x-ray transformer. Since the hockey puck diodes
were originally stacked as sets of 4 for a 150 kV rating,
I'm assuming each one of the pucks to be good for about
37.5 kV PIV. Don't think I will be overtaxing their volt-
age capabilities ;^)

David

David,

Since you're rectifying and filtering the MOT output, it seems
to me that you have a 4000 VDC power supply not AC.
A DC vttc tends to draw a lot of power but produces
quiet, short, torch-like sparks without staccato.
Am I missing something?  Are you maybe using a level-
shifted AC power supply?  In any case if you are using a
DC HV supply, then a typical staccato controller which
uses an SCR to lift the filament from ground won't work.
A high powered transistor instead of the SCR would be
needed.  I realize you're not using the staccato right now.

John