metal halide bulbs and Tesla coils

Original poster: "Krohns" <2halice@xxxxxxx>

Howdy,

While scrounging through my favorite sign company's scrapyard, I ran across an old parking lot lamp fixture sporting a metal halide bulb, 15" long and 7" in diameter. It's a "<http://beverlyhillselectric.stores.yahoo.net/sylm1000ubt37.html>Syvania M1000/U/BT37 Comnpact Metalacr 1000 watt reduced outer jacket metal halide lamp, clear" (http://beverlyhillselectric.stores.yahoo.net/sylm1000ubt37.html). I have seen some cool effects using large bulbs in concert with Tesla coils. However, I am concerned about x-ray emissions after reading about "bremsstrahlung radiation". Do I dare not connect this lamp to the toroid of my 4" coil? Do I dare not hold this lamp in my hand in close proximity to my operating coil? I'm looking forward to some interesting feedback.

Cordially, Hal in Tucson