Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs - Terry's Now ;-)

Hi Peter,

At 10:31 PM 9/18/2006, you wrote:
Great pics for first light,

Actually it was the "sixth" run ;-))

Terry even if you people do things upside down compared to here in Australia (the time axis is going up).

I had to modify the calibrator to figure that out. My mind could not do it by just looking... To many spinning mirrors and inversions &:-)) The new calibrator is cool. I will write up the schematic...

The camera is the limitation here even despite your SISG having brighter sparks.

Yep!! I am seeing the wire conductor traces on the sensor chip... Olympus just came out with a nice new cam in my range...

You have a larger field than me which will also reduce the available light.

I am not sure how that function works... I tried reducing the field but the light stayed the same.... The optical lens seems to give constant light regardless of the zoom... But that lens has a "small" shutter compared to say a film camera... Some of my old film cameras had a real low F-stop... I threw all that stuff to my niece and she has probably pawned it by now for 10X what it is worth "now a days"....

The 100kHz LED works well and fortunately the 4 images don't overlap otherwise you wouldn't see anything. Given your machining tolerances, I guess this is a difference due to epoxy thickness.

That is about 0.3 degrees. The epoxy was certainly that. I also might have "slightly bent" the 1/8 inch motor shaft at 4000 pounds press "plus" a 'hammer' >:-))) I wanted to be sure it would not come off at 30000 RPM :o))) I counter drilled the block incase I ever had to pound it out.... But I don't think that is an option ;-)))

How long are the sparks?

23 inches.

I look forward to closer pics with better detail. I will look at 40M file as well.

I'll see what I can figure out about a more sensitive camera. I wonder what is the best "fast" "low light" camera?? Astronomy folks have "cool" ones, but no optics included... All for telescopes instead of Tesla coils...

I am thinking going to the little research SISG coil will shorter sparks, I can get in far closer for more light...

Cheers,

        Terry

Cheers
Peter