RE: Machining an Egg

At 08:45 PM 9/18/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Alan Majernick" <rainylake@xxxxxxx>

Cameron:

This egg thing has created a rough crowd. Sorry about the "Put on the Tesla
List' suggestion (although, I think the panty hose egg is the best way to
go).

At least as far as about 10 years ago, L'Eggs (made by a division of Sara Lee, of all things) came in cardboard cartons, not the large plastic eggs. We were trying to make robotic rolling eggs at an effects company for a TV commercial. Check places that do party favors and the like. It's kind of the wrong time of year, though.. you'd do better at Easter time. 99 cent stores are another possibility, as are craft stores (Michaels and JoAnn's, here in So Cal)

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 7:20 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Machining an Egg

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/18/06 7:56:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >I've not been following this thread closely, so forgive me if I'm off in
> >the weeds with this.  For this application, is it critical that the
> >copper be solid or at least thick?  If the egg need only have a high
> >conductivity surface, how about covering a plastic Easter egg with
> >copper foil tape?  The edges can easily be soldered to adjacent strips
> >for a continuous conductive surface, and the solder joints can be plated
> >with copper by immersion in a copper sulfate solution for aesthetic
> >metallic continuity, or you can use Bondo and paint for a really smooth
> >finish.  Do they still sell Leggs pantyhose in the plastic eggs?
> >
> >Regards, Gary Lau

Gary,

Harry Goldman tried thin-walled light-weight metal eggs
and they stood up and rotated properly.
But my solid aluminum egg didn't stand up.
I'm not sure if I made my prior posting clear about all that.  So
the conclusion seems to be that the weight of the egg and power of the
unit are the important factors.  A lightweight egg will stand up in a weak
columbus unit, but it takes a powerful columbus device to make
a heavy egg stand up.  At least this is what I conclude from what
Harry said.  I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, and I never
tried any columbus egg experiments.  Others may know much
more.

John