Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The image will be smeared unless you are seeing something that just flashes on for less than say 10 us such as a spark or LED pulsing at 100kHz.
Anything like an incandescent globe will just be a continuous smear.
Hence anything that is hot or burning such as a dust mote (as I conjecture) will be a continuous line that persists for much longer than the range of the screen of perhaps 200us. A hot metal particle would also do this.
I could test this by throwing a handful of dust at the spark....
In terms of the thermal time constant of the plasma channel, experiment beats guessing again :) Ionisation should go away rapidly but "hot" things will remain hot for a while. I'm not sure how well we can see hot air but I imagine (guessing again!) black body radiation of air is far dimmer than ionisation.

I'm working on a new add on that will give some nice info to complement this streak camera stuff but have tested it on ignition coil sparks only so far. Details when it gets "tidy".

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I had the same question, but after studying one image on Peter's web
page more carefully, I think I understand.  The photo that shows a
burning dust mote:
http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSpark1dustmote.jpg
...shows a single, more or less horizontal arc, with just one point
within the arc smearing vertically.  Peter concludes this is a burning
dust mote, and this demonstrates that the arc luminosity must be pulsing
at 2xFres.  I found this to be very surprising, since I would have
guessed that the thermal time constant of the plasma channel would be
far longer than a fraction of the Fres period.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA