Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Hi Peter,

At 01:23 AM 9/17/2006, you wrote:
It looks like the leader tip stalls a bit probably as that cycle reverses and cuts off the power. The next cycle reheats it and eventually it goes onward and briefly stalls again. ....

I don't think these are leader tips and my interpretation is a little different. What you have labelled as the leader tip on the left looks to me like a simple change in direction for the spark. In the two dimensions we see it in there is a sudden change in direction downwards. This will overlap the streamers and make that area bright. If the area is much brighter than expected (as it appears to be visually) then this is due to a third dimensional effect, ie the spark goes in or out of the plane of view for a distance which will relate to the perceived brightness.

Yes!! I see. The leader is just towards or away from the camera making a bring area. I was hoping one could also see the leader tip stall. Maybe in future pictures if that does indeed happen. But there are dark spots which should look like a continuous smear if that were the case to... Have to think on that. I suppose one day we will have a dual mirror system to show 3D :-))

The second leader tip that you indicate on the right occurs where a streamer branches. Again there is streamer overlap.

Still looks like branching to me 8-)

In both cases the streamer channel continues although all the 4 or 5 channels may be "stepped" so it looks like one or two were stopped. The diagrams from Bazelyan/Raizer, while not well labelled with time axes, indicate much faster events analysing what happens within the first strike that I just see as a single event.

Happily, I just got my mirrors in ;-))) A lot is going on the next few days, but I will see what I can get going!!

Great, don't let me have all the fun...

Just got the last mirror glued and will let it cure overnight.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/GlueingMirrors.JPG

Finally, I will get to play too ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry