Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi Peter,

Slightly off the topic of using rotating mirrors, have you considered using a high frame rate camera i.e. <http://www.apollo-image.com/PDFs/AIT100HS128DEC05.pdf>http://www.apollo-image.com/PDFs/AIT100HS128DEC05.pdf ? Being able to remotely trigger capture or time stamp the recording to match the image with a digital sample of the current or voltage may be interesting. A while ago I did some research on the way streamers discharging in to the air move around. It was interesting as the streamers seem to form knots and bright spots as they move around. I have summarised the interesting images in a short clip:-

<http://www.hackinghardware.com/tc/globedischarges.avi>http://www.hackinghardware.com/tc/globedischarges.avi

I think high speed photography and the formulation of knots and globes would be an interesting study. Unfortunately at about £1500/$3000 for a high speed camera is a bit of a risk considering it could get fried by all sorts of fields and currents etc. Maybe mirrors and lenses could be used to protect the camera. Has anyone else observed knots etc?

Apparently there is phenomenon known as linked vortex ring. It would be truly awesome if someone could photo some of these.

<http://www.hackinghardware.com/tc/knot.jpg>http://www.hackinghardware.com/tc/knot.jpg

Chris R