Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs - WOW!!!

Hi Gerry,

I have everything built but I mail ordered a high speed motor and front surface mirrors. Right now I am just waiting for them. Today I will try to make a 100kHz LED flasher for calibration like peter has (might just be able to use the TCT). This is what I have so far:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/StreakCam-02.JPG

My old digital camera can be fully manually set for everything and up to 1/800 sec shutter speed. So the four mirror block could run at up to 12000 RPM. The hard part is figuring out how the camera works manually rather than "auto" ;o) At 12000 RPM at ten feet it can scan 0.3 inch / uS or separate the bands by 1.5 inch on a 100kHz coil which is probably more than enough. The motor is capable of 24000++ RPM. The camera might be able to be remote controlled from a laptop too.

The camera sensor has a high noise floor but I don't think it will be a problem given the high shutter speeds and bright arcs. Might be more of a problem for dimmer air streamers. Just have to see... I know someone with a far better camera too ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry