Re: Big Toroids

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sep 9, 2006, at 12:30 AM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

O W Lundgren. The big versions of the usual smaller spun toroids
for table top coils will probably require a 2nd mortgage. I think
they want something like $2000 for an 8x30 with the cost going up
faster than the volume of the toroid itself (cubed). Hence why you
don't see many big ones outside professional companies and the rest
of us resort to using chicken wire/plywood. At some point there's
really no advantage of spun over handmade chickenwire/plywood from
an electric field point of view, just looks better and cost
thousands more. Even if I was a millionaire I'd be extraordinarily
depressed if I accidently dropped it (probably easy to do with the
big/awkward ones). If anyone on the  list would make ~8x30's and
sell for $400-500 that would be a bargain.

Has anyone checked the prices of Ross Engineering by comparison?  I
used to think of them as unbelievably expensive, but it sounds like
they might have been cheaper than O.W. Landergren.  OTOH, the last
time I checked prices at Ross was about two decades ago.  For all I
know, they are out of business, but their website is up:

http://www.rossengineeringcorp.com/
http://www.rossengineeringcorp.com/toroids_spheres_corona_nuts.htm

 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux