Re: fiberglass plastic toroid

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dest,

applause to your robust and good looking toriod! - The "fishform" sheets are not quite alien looking to me ;-). There are professionals - those people (thermally) insulating process pipelines - who use them like everyday, and with good precision. Please see the make of my custom made toroid for old B&W at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/galanis.htm
especially:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/gal05.jpg

BTW: my toroid is not robust like yours, but was sufficient, to endure all the transports for the demo's. It's yet in perfect shape. All I had to specify to the manufacturer was the dimensions of the toroid, and how many sectors I would like. The rest they designed themselves by their own "recipes". The toroid is smooth enough, to allow the sparks "dancing" on the surface.

Cheers,  Kurt

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo Gary,

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Hi Dest:

That's one damn fine looking toroid!  I applaud your use of correctly
shaped pre-cut "lunes" of fiberglass mat.  How did you plot the exact
shape & size?  Well done!

thanx.
i don`t know if all this is well defined and described somewhere
(probably it is, as always), but as with fiberglass plastic i decided
to do it by myself from ground zero, so i just "invented" all
necessary formulas. that was somewhere at the end of 2005, so when i
looked at those scetches today i even can`t understand what is "z",
"alpha" and so on, sorry : ))) but i found that old  mathcad file:

http://himplast.ru/dest/tesla/toroid/tor33.PNG
http://himplast.ru/dest/tesla/toroid/tor.mcd

then i remembered, that "R" and "r" it`s a major & minor radiuses in
cm, and "16" it`s just the number of "lunes" in single layer. so my
toroid is not 10" by 40", but 8" by 40" instead - sorry again : )))
btw - you don`t really need _exact_ shape or size, coz as i found in
the process, impregnated mat tend to stretch, at least along its
length. but maybe i`ll need such data when i begin covering the thing
with alu foil, who knows.

While it's clear that it's possible to build a first rate DIY
fiberglass toroid, it still looks like more effort than many would
care to bite off.

you are right - probably such tor like yours is all that Terry or any
other normal person need, coz no normal person would kick or throw
his top load : ) and with careful handling it would last probably
sufficiently long. tho it is a bit pricey for a "medium" size?

  I wanted to mention one further possibility (yeah - a dime a
dozen) for a pre-made toroid.
I've noticed on several occasions in shopping malls, large fiberglass
planters

heck, i was always wondering how much differ level of technological
progress here vs usa - those endless *marts, digikeys, mac master
carrs and so on - you have so many ways and possibilities to do the
same thing % )))

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D