Re: PLL SSTC

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

I made up my own version of the 4046 SSTC controller.  Its not DRSSTC
worthy in my opinion (though you could make it so), but i used it for
my highest power SSTC (running well over 5kW).  Schematic and pics
here:

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/CWcoil/

As mentioned, PLLs can be finicky if you dont use the right filtering
on the VCOinput.  You also have to be careful of setting the upper and
lower frequency limits.  Also, in my case i used secondary current
feedback, and i found a problem with ground arcs that are too short.
It seemed to cause the circuit to lose lock, and id have to reset the
PLL.  This problem seemed to have spawned as my PLL circuit became
better at maintaining the proper phase shift... so making it better in
one respect seemed to weaken it in another.  When the PLL "messes up"
nothing is damaged as the primary current is very low when off
resonance, so it just stops sparking and i cut the bridge power and
then restart.  Its not really a problem if you are careful about
ground targets.

Steve Ward

Hi,

I think Steve Conner has done the most with PLL solid state Tesla coil stuff:

http://scopeboy.com/tesla/index.html

http://scopeboy.com/tesla/dwsstc/wk2.html

The problem is Tesla coil waveforms like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/NightmareWave.gif

Fricking had for a PLL to track!!  But Steve has been the most
successful!  I think he has better stuff now...

Most other designs use "fast" zero crossing detectors on the primary
current to do it all in real time:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/MainController-1.0.pdf

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/CurrentMeasurement.gif

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/OpticalGateDrive-1.0.pdf'

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/H-Bridge-1.0.pdf

Connor, Ward, and certainly Dan do better then "me" here ;-))

http://scopeboy.com/tesla/

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/SSTCindex.htm

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/

The "real thing" would be to have a uP hard number crunch it all in
real time...  I have "imagined" doing it with this:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PchipBlockRev.pdf

But just "pie in the sky" ;-))

I got some 4046's once but never used them since the fast real time
stuff was better for me.

Cheers,

         Terry