Faradays Law and Inductance

Original poster: "Jared Dwarshuis" <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>

Faradays Law and Inductance:

For an air cored solenoid:

Closed integral E dot ds =  d (flux B)/dt

Closed integral E dot ds =  (Area)   d(B)/dt

Closed integral E dot ds =  (pi  r(sqrd) )   d(B)/dt

Using B for a solenoid from Amperes law:

B = u   Ienclosed / height of solenoid

We get:

Closed integral E dot ds  =  u (pi  r(sqrd) ) / h          d( Ienclosed)/ dt

Multiplying numerator and denominator by 4 pi we get:

Closed integral E dot ds  =  u (2pi  r)sqrd / 4 pi h     d (Ienclosed) /dt

Since:  Ienclosed = (N)  Io          ( Io is the current in a given turn)

Closed integral E dot ds  = u (2pi r)sqrd / 4 pi h      ( (N)   d (Io)/dt )

Since:

u = 1 / e Csqrd      from:  1/ sqrt( u e ) = C

We can equivalently write:

Closed integral E dot ds  =

1/( 4 pi e h) (circumference/ the speed of light) sqrd ( (N) d (Io)/dt )

Since: Voltage = (N)  d (flux B)/dt

Then:

V =   [u (2pir)sqrd (N)sqrd /4pi h]   d(Io)/dt

Of course:  (2pi r)sqrd (N)sqrd = (2 pi r N)sqrd

And since (2 pi r N) is the physical wire length of the solenoid:

V =   u (wire length)sqrd / 4pi h         d(Io)/dt

Or:

V = (wire length/ speed of light)sqrd       1/ (4pi e h)       d(Io)/dt

Both forms are identical to:

V = L d(Io)/dt

Observations:

We have acquired a factor of (N) from the law: V = (N)  d(flux B)/dt

  (This part demonstrates how each loop contributes voltage).

 We acquired a second (N) from the current component of the equation:

 Ienclosed  = Io (N)

Since:

[(2pi r)sqrd ] [Nsqrd] = (2pi r N)sqrd = (wire length)sqrd. We can clearly see that wire length is a fundamental geometry for describing air cored solenoid inductance in the framework of Maxwell's equations.

( Interestingly; in the second form for voltage, we find an inverse capacitance in the form: 1/ (4pi e h). This strongly suggests that a shell theorem for solenoids may exist. )

Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis, Larry Morris Oct. 2006