RE: Solid State Egg of Columbus Driver - Circuit Review Requested (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:01:11 -0700
From: Cameron B. Prince <cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Solid State Egg of Columbus Driver - Circuit Review Requested (fwd)

Hey guys,

> Here's the schematic:
>
> http://www.teslauniverse.com/circuits/egg_of_columbus_driver.pdf

I built the driver portion of the circuit listed above on a breadboard last
night. The inverter based square wave generator worked like a champ. I had a
solid output at a steady frequency variable between 45Hz and 65Hz. The JK
flip-flops failed miserably. They caused the output to have a sharp point on
the bottom of the wave and the frequency jumped all over the place.

Either the guy who came up with the idea was way off, or I somehow
misunderstood how to connect the flip-flops in the circuit. I tried to email
him and got no reply.

I have been searching tonight for about the past hour and I finally ran
across something that looks hopeful:

Shift registers and resistors deliver multiphase sine waves
This simple method uses only digital logic and fixed-value resistors.

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/6321527.pdf

(Scroll down to page 5)

This looks really promising and I'm going to make a Digi-Key order tomorrow.

Thanks,
Cameron