Re: Large Saturable reactor out of its cage. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:26:01 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large Saturable reactor out of its cage. (fwd)

Another great benefit for coils of 5-6 kVA and above is ---- it can
eliminate the expensive variacs completely!

You use a non-saturable airk-gapped power reactor in series with the pole
xmfr primary.  By adjusting the DC current thru the center leg of the
reactor you can start with no current flowing at all, and then gradually
bring the power up to the level you requires.  It works great!   We seldom
use variacs anymore, just non-saturable air-gapped power reactors with a DC
leg.

On straight core reactor design, we use a longer core and put one DC winding
on each end of the stee; core.   This also works although not quite as good
as using a center leg to do the control function.

We use a simple SCR control circuit to vary the power level in the reactor
by controlling the DC current in each end winding.

Dr. Resonance