Re: 10kva pole pig needed with 29kv primary

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
David:

You are right.
Matt D.

In a message dated 10/22/06 10:41:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Scot,

Ok, but I still don't understand why you're limited to 10 kVA
by seriesing the (2) 10 kVA transformers. Since volts/amps
is equal to volts x amps, with (2) 14.4 kV units in series, you
are indeed limited to the amperage output of a single one
(about .695 amps for a 10 kVA @ 14.4kV pig) but your
voltage output is still doubled - so 28.8 kv x .695 amps =
20 kVA. Just the same, when you parallel the same (2) 14.4
kV@ 10kVA pigs, you are limited to the voltage of a single one,
but the amperage is additive - 14.4 kV x 1.39 amps = 20 kVA.
The way I'm seeing it, the only thing that could be limiting your
power level to <20 kVA is the limit of your electrical service
or your ballasting. BTW, (10) 1/4 resistors will be able to han-
dle 2.5 watts collectively, although each individual resistor will
still only handle 1/4 watt. 100 of them would handle 25 watts
collectively while each individual resistor would still only handle
1/4 watt. Just like with the transformers, it dosen't matter if they
are in series or parallel, the total collective value is still going to be
the sum total of each individual unit.

Maybe someone else should share their view to settle this
issue -(Moderator Terry F., Bert H., Dr. R., ect.?) ;^)

David Rieben