Solid State MOSFET Coil

Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Those interested in building the solid state dual MOSFET coil I was designing drop me an off-list email and I will return email with my intial plans. I plan on offering the MOSFETS, topload toroid, and MMCs in a pkg with the PCB for both oscillator/driver, and a second PCB just for the power supply w/voltage doubler and IC Vccs -- both 12 volt and 5 volt required.

I've got the JAVATC program data and also the coil's physical geometry worked. Now, to work on the PCB layout and then running some prototype boards to test it.

It's a small mini-coil with a 16 to 18 inch long spark. Runs on 120 VAC line using voltage doubler to 336 VDC on the switching buss. 6 inch dia. PVC tube closewound with #30 AWG x 16 inch winding length. 1.5" x 7" toroid --- I'm having Landergren run a batch for us --- that's after I "eat" the $485 toolup costs --- arrrgg!

Runs at approx 400 Watts so only 3.4 Amps on the 120 outlet. Very compact, portable, and a nice spark. I've overrated the MOSFETs to 500 VDC at 48 Amps so it can literally run all day long without dying. A bit overkill but I like doing it that way --- I hate breakdowns when you're trying to do a demo for someone.

I'd like to thank Bart for his great work on JAVATC --- it works great for solid state coil design.

Dr. Resonance