MOSFET TC design

Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm designing a small, compact, and highly portable MOSFET powered Tesla coil.

I plan on running a batch of printed circuit boards with plans, and offering them to the list members.

The heart of the circuit is a pair of $22 MOSFETs that switch MMC power into a coil featuring a 6 inch ID PVC tube secondary. The sec coil features a 16 inch long winding of #30 AWG 150 degree C. double-insulated magnet wire. I hope to have the complete unit design available at a cost of under $95.

Chris Hooper, an EE from Arizona, produced the original circuit. I plan on using the same logic but adding the voltage doubler to boost the output from his circuit's 9 inches to a min. of at least 16 inches, perhaps as long as 18 inches spark output.

The powers supply will be a 120 volt rectified, line doubled power supply to produce a 336 VDC drive into the pri coil. The pri cap with be a handful of MMC caps based on the 0.15 uF, 2 kV C-D caps.

I expect spark output using a 1 x 7 inch toroid to be approx 16 - 18 inches long. Not bad for a complete system weighing less than 6 lbs.! I'm having O.W. run a batch of toroids for me. The more orders the cheaper the toroids will be for everyone.

Anyone that might be interested in a board please advise as I plan on placing the board order early in November. Contact me off-list and advise. I will add you to our board bulk purchase list.

Also, contact me off-list and I will email you the pri-sec coil geometry plans so you can start working on gathering your parts. PVC tube, wire, phenolic plates, etc.

Happy long sparks!

Dr. Resonance