Re: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi Finn,

Almost everything on this coil is new/modern! Only the secondary, hidden primary, and hidden MOT are "conventional". Even a coiler might not realize it is a Tesla coil at first glance!

I am just basically going to put the PIRANHA engine inside it.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/PIRANHA-001.JPG

It is sort of odd "designing" a coil where the "electrical stuff" is really not a concern at all... I am just going to rebolt everything to a new base board and stick it in and forget it ;-) All the design is "cosmetic".

I am not sure what the capacitance of the new terminal will be, but from the field plots it will be pretty close to a 8 x 24 toroid. I have plenty of tuning range so not problem at all there.

The pictures where done with the ancient open source freebee PovRay. It runs much faster on a 3GHz computer than a 12MHz 286 :o))

http://www.povray.org/

You probably want to get a GUI plugin for it like Moray:

http://www.stmuc.com/moray/

But that has a 30 day trial and then it is expensive. But for a quick thing like this were I needed to get a good picture it is just fine ;-) I could pretty much figure it out in an hour and use it:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/newcoil-02.png

I had trouble finding a secondary coil and ground material... I also have 'two' Suns ;-)

Some people are waaayyy too good at it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Glasses_800_edit.png

Cheers,

        Terry