To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: TC Ozone Mold Killer

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Has anyone tried using their Tesla Coil inside the house to kill mold?
>
> I have read ozone permently kills mold better than chlorine bleach
> and vingar.

I knew that ozone attacks rubber, but it never occurred to me that all the
belts in my old VCR and cassette players fall apart.  A couple "Pease
Porridge" columns in Electronic Design mentioned this effect, and many
people responded in the "mail from readers" to say that the same thing
happened to them too.

> There are several companies that sell ozone generators, tiny table
> top models for $1000.00, guaranteed to kill mold.  I checked one out
> it is just a high voltage transformer producing a 1/8" spark across a
> tiny spark gap with a tiny box fan that circulated room air over the
> spark gap.   $1000 sounds like a rip off to me.   I bet my 4" TC will
> produce more ozone in 30 seconds than that $1000 ozone generator will
> produce all day.

Yeah, the price is a ripoff and it's because O3 generators are a new-age
fad.

A genuine Tesla-type ozone generator is made of two metal plates
sandwiched between sheets of glass, then the glass-covered plates are then
held about 1mm apart.  Connect the plates between a TC output and ground,
and the entire air volume in the narrow gap between the glass plates will
glow purple.  (The glass prevents sparks while allowing plasma discharge.)
Crank the TC voltage down so you mostly create ozone and not oxides of
nitrogen.  Add a little fan to pump air through the gap.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci