Re: grounding question

At 05:10 AM 10/10/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wire my cage to my HV ground and to mains ground. RF ground current with a good cage should be small . Using a RF choke completely disconnects the ground at TC frequencies and should never be used. Try it on a normal TC and see the sparks fly across it.

Well.. that would imply that you're inducing significant RF current in places "outside" the cage/TC area.

Maybe the sparks across the choke could be used as a diagnostic.

Similarly a counterpoise is a partial cage only so still large currents to ground so shouldn't use a choke. An imperfect Faraday cage should have only small RF currents to ground but should still go somewhere otherwise there is a shock risk. The imperfect bit mainly arises from the way the HV is brought into the cage and filtering / voltage suppression at the point of entry. In summary, downunder opinion is that if using a cage then it should be grounded to HV ground and on to mains ground. Counterpoise and standard TC's need a good RF ground and should not be connected to mains unless tiny.

Peter