Testing High voltage puck diodes.

Hello All,

I am preparing to install 6 sets of six series connected HDB7.5 puck and stud diodes in a full wave 3 phase transformer oil tank (given there is room once the filament transformer is removed). These diodes are rated at 7500 volts reverse each, with a forward current of 1.4 amps. The recovery time is "standard". I called the engineering department and they said they should be fine without any balancing components at 60hz.

Keeping in mind that these are take out surplus, I would like to test them under somewhat hardened conditions, not just the forward junction drop. I was thinking of using half of one of my 15KV neon transformers across a diode test setup with say a 30 ma load of some sort. I have a 15kv dc probe around here somewhere which I will also test thoroughly!

What would be the wisdom of noting the waveforms of each diode and discarding the ones that are inconsistent? Naturally I will test the diodes with a meter first. Anyone know a better or safer way to do this?

Thanks in Advance,

Jim Mora

There are a lot of bolts holding on the transformer/PS cover! And I would not like playing with these pucks once submerged!