More Egg of Columbus Progress

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I may be able to get this thing finished at least to a point of testing
tonight. The brass egg came in today (finally after almost 2 weeks) and to
my surprise, wasn't solid but is hollow and weighs a mere 3 ounces.
According to a letter I received from Harry Goldman about his egg, this may
be a good thing versus a heavy solid egg. Harry mentions a large amount of
power being required to spin large or heavy objects which in turn causes his
resistor to overheat.

Harry also says that about 300 turns of wire are needed on each coil.
Otherwise the field isn't strong enough. I went with 12 AWG on my variac
core and with a double layer I can only get around 100 turns on each of the
four coils. I'm going to try it like this and hope for the best. If it
doesn't work, I guess I'll need to drop the wire size to about 18 AWG and go
for 300 turns. I'm hoping Harry is basing this observation on a stator core
and not a variac core which will hopefully not behave the same way.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/images/egg_of_columbus/DSC00611.JPG
http://www.teslauniverse.com/images/egg_of_columbus/DSC00618.JPG
http://www.teslauniverse.com/images/egg_of_columbus/DSC00623.JPG

As you can see I've got two of the coils wound. I did this by measuring the
distance around the core and multiplying by the number of turns and added a
bit for the extra required to overlap. I pulled off this much wire and then
chucked up a 1/2 inch dowel rod in the drill and coiled the wire on it. I
then pass the dowel through to core as I unwind it. As with about everything
I guess, the first one didn't go near as well as the second but I think both
are going to work okay if there is enough turns.

I've gotten several AC caps ready there in the photo also. Hopefully I have
something spinning later tonight or tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks,
Cameron