Re: first coil progress...

Hi,

I will disagree :o))

It is like you car just ran out of gas on the highway but the motor is still spinning. If you keep it in gear (secondary in place) the car will use the spinning energy to move it just a little further down the road.

It you put the car in neutral all the spinning energy will be lost into heat inside the engine as to motor takes a little longer to come to a stop. No big deal either way. Probably twice the power is burnt of in the gap, but that normally will not hurt anything.

On the other hand if you ran a DRSSTC (unlimited primary drive energy) without a secondary. The primary will resonate up immediately until something blows!!!

In the case of the SISG, I go from 34.81 Arms to 55.61 Arms!!! So high efficiency solid state coils should probably never be run without the secondary!!

The spark gap will be brighter and louder, but a lot of that is due to the energy simply being dissipated "faster" in the gap without the secondary in place. The current is not higher nor the voltage. It just bangs faster! It also has about twice the energy in the bang too that normally would have gone to the secondary.

Basically, the "high" resistance of the conventional spark gap spoils the "Q" of the system and it rings down fairly quickly before much extra RMS current shows up.

Cheers,

        Terry