Re: Question about capacitors for coil

Hi Gerry,

At 01:16 AM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
Hi DC,

I've been thinking that the relationship of inductance to number of turns squared has a lot of error in it for tall skinny coils. I believe the equation of:

L = uo*N^2*Area / length

assumes that the coupling from each turn on the solenoid is 100% into all the other turns so that the total flux thru any one turn is proportional to the number of turns. For a very short and very fat coil, I believe this relationship would be close. For TC secondaries with H/D ratio of say 5:1, there is a lot of error in the number_of_turns squared relationship. I bet the real exponent is between 1 and 2 for typical TC geometries. I might try to plot this using JavaTC and see if there is an effective exponent given H/D.

Gerry R.

You might want to check here first:

http://www.classictesla.com/sim/k.html

http://www.classictesla.com/sim/Rac_Q_Chart.gif

Some of this might have already been done.

Cheers,

        Terry