Re: Information Unlimited BTC30 coil

There are probably a lot of things you could do to upgrade the BTC30.

1. High Voltage Supply: I believe the BTC30 is a 20mA output. Consider replacing to a 30mA or even 60mA. 2. Spark Gap: If the spark gap is a simple 2 electrode fixed gap without air cooling, add the air cooling. This will aid the coils ability to run longer. You may even consider building a multi-segment gap which aids cooling. Again, due to the small high voltage supply, the new gap should go along with a higher current transformer. 3. The primary is likely fine the way it is. It's specifically designed for the tank cap size. Should you go to a larger supply, the cap could be resized also (and resized to maintain the same primary).

Although those are some ideas, a better idea is to design your own coil from scratch with the goal to have the new coil throw 3 times the sparklength than the BTC30 is capable of out of the box.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

We are building the BTC30 coil during physics class at school. I was wondering if there was any way to make it better. I also read some where that it had a run time of about 45 seconds is that true. i was going to re-make the primary coil on it so i could tap it at a lower turn which i can't do now because of the way it is made. I am not sure on how to go about calculating the inductance since it is a weird primary design.