Re: Pool Pig...

Hi Mike,

You bring up an excellant point here. I guess my mind set is still with SRSG's. Yes, you are right in that you cant get peak with an ARSG greater than say 120 BPS. RMS voltages wouldn't necessarily be the right voltage to use either. Even with 240bps, you can get excessive voltages if the cap is too small. The more I think about it, this may not be something that can easily be computed although I'm still thinking that the average power processed is still BPS * Average_Bang_Energy. The problem is the bang energy varies from one bang to the next.

The issue really is what voltage you will get with a certain cap, a certain power level, and a certain BPS. The real way to find out safely is to do a spice simulation to fully understand the implications of using a STR cap and the required BPS to keep the voltages reasonable. I have done a few ARSG simulations for some in the group and would be happy to do them for those in need.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but as I was reading this, it seems like the ARSG should be based on the RMS voltage, not the peak. This would make the average bang size 10.4J and therefore you'd want to be able to fire up to 1440 BPS. I really don't know, but I'd sure hate to blow a couple hundred $$ worth of caps by under desiging the ARSG. Please explain, if I'm wrong, why I am in this.
Mike

Example:  assume the 100nf used in the green monster and ballasted at
15KW. Also assume that the maximum voltage allowed will be 14.4KVrms
* sqrt(2). This will give you about 20400Vpeak.  The BANG energy (at
20.4KV) will be 20.8 joules.  Therefore, the needed BPS will be:

BPS = 15000 / 20.8 or 720.

You can see that you will need a very high speed ARSG to keep the
voltage under control if you ballast for full power.

Gerry R.