Re: Pool Pig...

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If they are dual bushing xmfrs you could hook the secondaries of two in series for 14.4 kV output. .06 to .07 uF cap size.

If you are starting from scratch, consider going to a 16 or 18 inch dia. for the sec coil, and perhaps a 64 inch overall winding length with 1,200 turns. The larger dia. gives you a higher potential difference due to the much larger inductance which increases as the square of the radius of the coil. You would probably end up with a 16 AWG wire. Just divide the 64 inch winding length by 1,200 turns to get the wire dia. required, and then look it up in a ARRL Handbook wire chart to get the correct wire size.

for best performance and quenching you will probably have to use a rotary type spark gap, perhaps 10 1/2 inch dia. electrodes spinning at 3450 RPM on a 12 inch dia. x 1/2 inch thick G-10 rotor with a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor. The copper tubes may not take this power level very well which will result in poor quenching.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

With all of this said, can I just build a say 8 1/2" dia. X 48" secondary with about 1200-1400 turn of 20-24awg wire on it and then lay down 10-15 turns of copper tube say 24" diameter 1/2" apart, hook a couple of .03uf X 30KV maxwell caps in, hook it to my pole pig, do some tweaking and create lightning? ;^P

See attached photo...
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/variac-0a.jpg