RE: Resonant Frequency?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

It's theoretically true that skin-effect and proximity losses in the
primary coil may be lower with lower resonant frequencies, though I
don't know how significant this is compared to other things.

But it is also true that striving for a lower resonant frequency forces
the designer into choices that will indirectly result in better
performance.  A larger top load almost invariably results in better
performance.  A higher inductance primary results in lower primary
currents and lower gap losses.  A higher tank capacitor value results in
a larger bang size and longer streamers.  And all of these things result
in lower resonant frequency.  Simply put, bigger is better, and
considering only frequency, there's no such thing as too low.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA