Re: Taming the SISG

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

I thought about that, but didn`t get to it.

But what I had in mind was this:

In the pulse wire, which is RG-218 coax inner wire, there are 7 wires. 6 wires twisted around one center wire. I could pull the center wire out (not easy, but possible with short pieces of coax) and replace it with an insulated wire, then use the 6 remaining wires as the shield. This would leave the 10kV potential across the polyethylene dielectric of the RG-218 as before, and place the ground right next to the wire that carries the trigger pulse.

Cheers, Finn hammer
(who thought a ground connection only was something that _Microsim_ required, in order to run)

Tesla list skrev:
Hi Finn and All,
It probably does not matter now, but it might be a factor later on...
In the CT like array where there are many transformers around a stripped piece of RG-8 style coax.
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/TOTSISG.jpg
There is a chance (small) for arc through or capacitive noise to go past that layer. A simple solution is to simply add a grounded layer in there to stop the capacitive coupling and act as a HV shield too. Sort of like this with the DRSSTC current pickups:
http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/CTshield.JPG
The grounded tube has no effect on the circuit, but it stops the HV RF coupling and noise dead. Of course, the highest voltage CT must then still able to stand off the grounded tube too... "tri-ax" type cable might be a nice choice too...
Just a thought,
Cheers,
        Terry